This is a full-time position with a salary range of $60-70,000 plus full benefits. If qualified and interested please submit application to Emily Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org or The City of Newport Attn: HR at 998 Monmouth Street, 2nd Floor, Newport, KY 41071. Open until filled.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This position is responsible for the basic planning and organization of the permitting and inspection program. Works closely with the Housing and Fire Inspectors. Reports directly to the Planning and Zoning Administrator.
- Reviews building permit applications and plans to assure that they are in compliance with city codes and ordinances;
- Inspects buildings, premises and land uses for conformance with zoning regulations, and for maintaining standards of construction to assure all proper zoning and codes are followed;
- Coordinates with Housing Inspectors the activities and follow up inspections and code violations;
- Prepares court cases and provides in – court testimony, orders and attends mediation meetings;
- Performs certification of occupancy inspections for business license;
- Records all data on new sewer taps, issues street cut bonds;
- Responsible for daily, weekly and monthly reports;
- Responsible for coordinating and maintaining all required certification;
- Performs and monitors inspections on buildings;
- Reviews and authorizes plans, building permits, certificates of occupancy and demolition permits;
- Reviews and issues stop work orders and prepares assigned reports;
- Inspects buildings, streets, storm drainage systems and other installations during construction;
- Reports to the Planning and Zoning Administrator on complaints and building code violations;
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES:
- Completes all proper departmental documentation;
- Acts as a backup on answering telephone when necessary;
- Performs other duties as required.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate from a standard high school, or the equivalency, supplemented by relevant experience in the housing field;
- Must be of minimum a Certified Level II Building Inspector by the State of Kentucky;
- Ability to operate a computer and business software.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
- Knowledge of basic modern construction techniques, principles and methods; A working knowledge of all applicable codes, to include an understanding of the proper methods for enforcement and inspection;
- Ability to understand, and interpret blueprints and other instructions related to the construction and modification of a building or residence;
- Communicate accurately with other officers, government agencies, and the general public regarding zoning and construction matters;
- Ability to work outside among different levels of an uncompleted structure, in order to inspect for compliance with building codes, zoning and other ordinances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors and the general public.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid operator’s license;
- Must possess certification as a Kentucky Certified Building Inspector Level II;
- Technical training in construction, materials, engineering and drafting;
- Must have ability to read blue prints;
- Must be bondable.
- An individual in this class must meet the requirements of all applicable Kentucky Revised Statues, and local ordinances, with regards to a person in this classification.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENT DEMANDS:
- Ability to communicate effectively and prepare reports requiring mental reasoning and interpretation, writing, reading and thinking;
- Work is typically performed in an office setting at a desk or table with intermittent standing or stooping;
- Ability to lift 25-50 pounds as required;
- Ability to safely operate large and small power tools;
- Ability to use hand tools;
- Work that is performed out of doors including periods of inclement weather with exposure to varying noise levels, fumes, dust and odors.