Salary: $76,772 – $86,369 plus full benefits including take home vehicle (mile limitations apply).
Location: Newport, KY
Job Type: Full time position
Department: Code Enforcement Department
Closing: Position is open until filled.
This position is responsible for the coordination of the City’s Expanded Jurisdiction permitting and inspection program. Works closely with the Code Enforcement Officers and Fire Inspectors. Reports directly to the Code Enforcement Director.
- Reviews all commercial and residential building permit applications and plans to assure that they are in compliance with State Building Codes and city ordinances;
- Inspects new and existing buildings for conformance with State Building Codes, and for maintaining standards of construction to assure all relevant codes and ordinances are followed
- Coordinates with Code Enforcement Officers and follow up inspections and code violations;
- Performs certification of occupancy inspections for business license;
- Records all data on new sewer taps, issues street cut bonds;
- Responsible for maintaining periodic departmental reports;
- Responsible for maintaining all required certifications;
- Performs and monitors inspections on buildings;
- Reviews and authorizes all plans, building permits, certificates of occupancy and demolition permits;
- Reviews and issues all stop work orders and prepares assigned reports;
- Inspects buildings, streets, storm drainage systems and other installations during construction;
- Acts as the Flood Plan Coordinator for the city;
Additional Job Duties
- Completes all required departmental documentation;
- Performs other duties as required.
Desirable Training and Experience
- Graduate from a standard high school, or the equivalency, supplemented by 5 – 7 years experience in Construction field in a position such as foreman;
- Must be a Certified Level III Building Inspector by the State of Kentucky Department of Housing Buildings and Construction;
- Ability to operate basic computer systems including typical software systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
- Knowledge of basic modern construction techniques, principles and methods; A working knowledge of all applicable codes, to include an understanding of the proper methods for enforcement and inspection;
- Ability to understand, and interpret construction drawings, specification and other documents related to the construction and modification of a building or residence;
- Communicate accurately with other officers, government agencies, and the general public regarding zoning and construction matters;
- Ability to work outside among different levels of an uncompleted structure, in order to inspect for compliance with building codes, zoning and other ordinances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors and the general public.
Necessary Special Requirement
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid operators license;
- Must possess certification as a Level III Kentucky Certified Building Inspector;
- Technical training in construction, materials, engineering and drafting;
- Must have ability to read and interpret construction plans and drawings;
- Must be bondable.
- An individual in this class must meet the requirements of all applicable Kentucky Revised Statues, and local ordinances, with regards to a person in this classification.
Essential Physical and Environment Demands
- Ability to communicate effectively and prepare reports requiring mental reasoning and interpretation, writing, reading and thinking;
- Work is typically performed in an office setting at a desk or table with intermittent standing or stooping;
- Ability to lift 25-50 pounds as required;
- Ability to safely operate large and small power tools;
- Ability to use hand tools;
- Work that is performed out of doors including periods of inclement weather with exposure to varying noise levels, fumes, dust and odors.
Apply online at www.newportky.gov or contact Terry Fornash, firstname.lastname@example.org